Disclosure: I may earn money or products from companies mentioned in this post. I only recommend products and services I trust to serve you. Purchasing through an affiliate link comes at no extra cost to you. You can learn more here.
Cornbread is always a great comfort food around here. Farmer Derek’s favorite version is his very own homemade Broccoli Cheese Cornbread recipe. I wish that I could take credit for coming up with this recipe but it is all Farmer Derek here. I will tell you that Emma says it tastes better when I make it, though.
If you like cornbread and if you like broccoli casserole then you will love this. One of the best things is that you can eat it with your fingers. Not that a proper lady like me would eat with my fingers……. Oh wait, I would. And I do.
Broccoli Cheese Cornbread
As always we use real food, non-gmo, organic ingredients, nothing processed or from a box. We start with measuring out all of the ingredients. We pre-heat the oven and our 10″ cast iron skillet to 425° F while we mix the batter.
First, we mixed our dry ingredients together and set them aside. We also steamed the broccoli until very tender and set aside.
We cracked the eggs into a large bowl and beat them. We got to take out our day’s aggressions here (just kidding or maybe not). We added the sour cream to eggs and stirred them together.
Now we added the coconut oil and gave it a little stir. Cheese is next on the list, then broccoli. Next, we added the dry ingredients and mixed it all together well. Almost ready for the oven!
Last, we added the milk as needed to achieve right consistency. We started with 1/4 cup and added around 1/4 cup more. We wanted it to almost level itself in the bowl but not quite after stirring. It is pretty thick batter.
Once our batter was ready, we pulled the pan out of the oven and melted 1 TBSP of bacon grease in the pan. We wanted our grease to be nice and hot so it would sizzle when the batter hit it. This starts crisping and browning the outside of the cornbread right away.
We baked the cornbread on the bottom oven rack for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown at 425°F.
After about 25 minutes the broccoli cheese cornbread is finished cooking and ready to be enjoyed by all. Especially by Farmer Derek. He really loves this stuff and I don’t blame him. He loves to take it to work for breakfast and lunch, it’s a meal in itself. It’s that good.
I hope you’ll be making broccoli cheese cornbread from scratch too!
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tsp flake sea salt (1 tsp of more finely ground salt)
- 2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 4 free range eggs
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup melted coconut oil (or butter)
- 12 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 oz steamed broccoli
- ¼ to ½ cup of milk (to consistency)
- 1 TBSP bacon grease (or butter or coconut oil)
- Pre heat 10″ cast iron skillet in oven at 425°F. Mix dry ingredients and set aside. Steam broccoli until tender and set aside. In large bowl beat eggs. Add sour cream and coconut oil, mix well. Add Cheddar cheese and stir. Add broccoli and stir. Add dry ingredients to bowl and mix all ingredients together well. Add milk ¼ cup at a time until desired consistency. Pour batter in hot greased skillet. Bake on bottom oven rack at 425° F for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
More posts like this: