Disclosure: I may earn money or products from companies mentioned in this post. I only recommend products and services I trust to serve you. Purchasing through an affiliate link comes at no extra cost to you. You can learn more here.
There’s just something about the cool fall weather that makes me want a big bowl of chili. Just think of it; Warm, hearty, chunky chili beans with fresh grass fed beef topped with some ooey gooey melted cheese. Ahhhhh, it sounds just about perfect for a brisk autumn day. Homemade chili is quite simple and having a slow cooker do most of the work for you makes it even easier.
I have planned to buy dry beans in bulk so I can soak and can them but it hasn’t happened yet. I would also love to use homegrown tomatoes but our tomato crop this year was a far cry from being a bumper crop. We have had to improvise by buying canned organic beans and tomatoes for now.
So, without further ado:
Hearty Homestead Slow Cooker Chili
I start out by sautéing one onion, a couple of bell peppers, and 3 cloves of garlic in olive oil. P.S. Don’t burn the garlic… just don’t.
Once they are nice and tender I add my ground beef. Next I throw my seasonings in.
While the beef is browing and the spices and veggies are infusing their flavor into the beef, I put my beans and tomatoes into the slow cooker.
When the beef is thoroughly cooked I add it to the beans in the slow cooker and give it a good stir.
I cook it on medium all day and it is ready for dinner. I like to top the chili with shredded cheese and make cornbread to go along with it. We always have plenty leftover too. This is a meal that will warm you up and fill you up!
- 2 Lb Ground Beef (grass fed is best)
- 1 onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 8 cans of beans (I use a variety of pinto, kidney,and black beans)
- 1 large can up diced tomatoes
- 4 TB Chili powder
- ¼ tsp Ground Cumin
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 3-4 TB raw sugar
- Sauté onion, peppers, and garlic in olive oil. Add ground beef. Add chili powder, cumin, black pepper, and salt to beef. Cook until beef is thoroughly browned. In slow cooker place beans, tomatoes, and sugar. Add cooked beef and veggies. Mix well. Cook on medium for 4-8 hours. Serve hot with grated cheese on top.
More posts like this: